David Town, CHRL
David Town has been leading and executing Human Resource practices that support the overall strategy of organizations. Prior to running his own consulting firm, David worked with fast-paced, high-performance organizations such as Loblaw Companies Limited, Shoppers Drug Mart and Big V Pharmacies, overseeing multiple areas of Human Resources including: leadership development, performance management, change management, merger integration, succession planning and talent management, executive coaching, employee training and development and a host of other Human Resource services. In his roles as a full-time business lecturer at the Ivey School of Business at the University of Western Ontario, and more recently as a part-time member of the Faculty of Continuing Education and Training at Seneca College, David honed his facilitation skills and developed a passion for people development, particularly in the areas of leadership, supervision, performance management, and communication. With a reputation for integrity and excellent relationship management skills, David has a track record of effectively executing programs that drive results.
David is a graduate of the Richard Ivey School of Business at the University of Western Ontario and has earned the Certified Human Resource Professional (CHRP) designation. He is a member of professional Associations in Business and Human Resources and is an active community volunteer, having held several volunteer leadership positions.
Below are some of David’s accomplishments:
- Earned Trainer Certification to deliver the Personal Leadership EffectivenessTM Program that focuses on developing a character-driven approach to leadership;
- Designed and facilitated customized leadership development programs for small to medium sized organizations that lead to improvements in manager and supervisor performance with respect to the management of employees;
- Facilitation of a “Personal Leadership Development Program” program with a major Canadian corporation that combines learning modules with the coaching of participants in small groups, to maximize the understanding of leadership principles and ensure the effective application of the learning, resulting in new leadership behaviours;
- Contributed to the design and delivery of an innovative leadership development program for all levels of management of a major grocery retailer, delivered to participants in groups of up to 200 leaders per session. A key element to driving results involved implementation of an operational tool that reinforced coaching and leadership behaviours while measuring specific operational improvements;
- Earned Certification in the application of the MERIT Profile Assessment™ tool designed to assist in building greater awareness of the behavioural and character related competency traits of an individual or group.
- Earned Certification in the application of The Birkman Method© assessment that integrates behavioural, motivational and occupational data together to predict behavior and work satisfaction across situations.
- Designed and implemented a customized coaching program for a multi-disciplinary consulting service organization that lead to improved client relations, better internal feedback and improved performance;
- Provided one-on-one coaching to executives. Increased their effectiveness in maximizing the performance of their direct reports and their management team;
- Developed and delivered teambuilding programs. Participants learn key principles of High Performance Teams and use customized exercises and simulations to apply the principles in a practical way. Improved performance and accountability result from better dialogue with each other where there is conflict or disagreement;
- Provided breakthrough results in impacting the effectiveness and ease of delivery of the performance review process. Developed and implemented an innovative on-line performance management system;
- Initiated a talent management process that enabled management teams to identify high potential employees and focus on their development. Implementation of the new talent management process resulted in greater bench strength to support ongoing change and growth.
- Developed a database of behavioural-based interview questions that linked to specific competencies required for specific job positions. Resulted in more effective recruitment and selection of new hires;
- Designed a change management program to contribute to the successful integration of two multi-billion dollar retailers that came together as a result of a major acquisition;
- Designed and delivered a training program focused on providing pharmacists with the management skills required to manage a drug store. This significantly contributed to the company’s ability to successfully execute an aggressive strategy of growth in stores;
- Completely overhauled an ineffective employee development process. The implementation of a new employee development process resulted in a dramatic increase in year-over-year achievement of individual employee goals and organizational goals;
- Designed and implemented an operational standards training program for produce departments. The program focused on operational follow up to ensure skill acquisition, resulting in: improved department conditions, reduced inventory shrink, improved customer satisfaction, and a double-digit sales increase year over year for the stores on the program.
- Implemented a series of retail training programs through a network of “in-store” trainers. This resulted in improvements in productivity while creating more opportunity for growth for store employees without incurring significant fixed costs associated with a large permanent training department.
Senior Level Human Resource Management expertise without the cost or commitment of a permanent hire.